C.M. Hinton Jr. Regional Landfill
Garland’s C. M. Hinton, Jr. Regional Landfill opened in April 2002 and is designed for an approximate 50-year lifespan. The Hinton Landfill accepts municipal solid waste, construction, and demolition waste from residents, private waste haulers, and commercial businesses, taking in approximately 1,100 tons of garbage every day. Please note that only brick and masonry goods that are 100% clean and free of trash, wire, and/or rebar will be accepted free of charge at the landfill.
- Any material determined by the Managing Director to have the potential of causing harm to the general health and welfare of human beings or the environment
- Chlorofluorocarbons (CFC) containing items, such as refrigerators and air conditioners;
- Closed drums
- Commercial loads of electronics, including televisions, office machines, and computer equipment
- Debris from nonhazardous chemical spills
- Devices that once contained petroleum-based compounds such as gasoline, fuel oil, hydraulic fluid, lubricants or other chemicals
- Friable asbestos
- Fuel tanks
- Hazardous waste, including paint, pesticides, fertilizer, pool chemicals, etc.
- High-pH and low-pH materials
- Infectious and/or hospital waste including any and all body parts and waste materials which have been in contact with said body parts, and are considered hazardous as defined by state and/or federal regulations. This includes, but is not limited to all “red bag” waste
- Large appliances such as stoves, dishwashers, refrigerators, air conditioners, etc.
- Lead acid batteries
- Motor oil, used oil filters
- Motor-driven vehicles
- Sandblast grit and non-liquid paint wastes
- Septic tank clean-out waste
- Spent filter media residue
- Unsecured load
Need to dispose of hazardous waste? Visit the Dallas County Home Chemical Collection Center at 11234 Plano Road in Dallas or call 214-553-1765 for information.
Need to dispose of large household appliances? Visit Garland's Recycling Center's scrap metal collection area at 1426 Commerce Street.
Call the Hotline for questions and concerns related to Hinton Landfill operations at 972-205-3671.
You may also email the Landfill.
- Scavenging is prohibited.
- Residents must show a valid driver’s license and/or current utility bill as proof of residency.
- Users of the landfill are admitted under the direction of the attendant on duty
- Incoming loads will be inspected on a random basis.
- Attendant on duty will determine prohibited articles.
- No smoking allowed in the landfill facility.
- Children under the age of 12 must remain inside the vehicle.
- Vehicles hauling waste to these sites must be enclosed or be covered with a tarpaulin, net, or other means to properly secure the load in order to prevent trash from blowing or falling from the vehicle. Improperly secured loads will assess a $20 surcharge and will be required to purchase a tarp for a fee of $10. Find out more information on tarping requirements (PDF).
- Only brick and masonry goods that are 100% clean and free of trash will be accepted free of charge at the landfill. Customers hauling all other loads of brick, concrete, and masonry goods will be charged per load.
For more information regarding these rules, contact the Hinton Landfill Scale House at 972-205-3670.
Garland and Sachse residents can use the Hinton Landfill at no cost for household waste they haul and unload themselves with proof of residency (current driver’s license, and recent City utility bill). If you cannot supply proof of residency, you will be charged a non-refundable fee. There is a minimum charge of $10. The waste must come from the home in which the resident resides.
Rowlett residents will be allowed to dispose of debris, without charge, twice within a calendar year at the Hinton Landfill and Transfer Station in Garland by obtaining a
Landfill Pass from the City of Rowlett. Read about Rowlett's Landfill Pass Information (PDF).
Non-Garland residents, private waste haulers and customers with commercially generated waste will be charged a per-ton fee based on the weight of the load.
- Automatic Dump Trailers & Vehicles: $42 per ton
- Non-Automatic Vehicles: $57.75 per ton
A security deposit is required. There is a minimum charge of $10.
Payment Types Accepted:
- All major credit cards except American Express
- Local checks. Bring a copy of the driver's license of the person who signed the check
The Hinton Landfill has different hours of operation during the week and weekends. Always allow yourself enough time to unload before the landfill closes.
Use of Scales
• Residential and commercial customers may utilize both inbound scales.
• All residents, commercial customers, and visitors must check in with scale attendant.
• One vehicle on the scale at a time.
• Commercial customers and non-Garland residents must provide license plate number to scale attendant.
• All loads must be tarped to avoid a $20 surcharge.
• When paying by check - one check per load is required.
• Payments over the phone are not accepted.
• Every customer is required to provide payment at the time of dumping.
• No cellphone use on landfill property.
• The speed limit on landfill property is 20 mph.
• A greater reduction of speed is in effect when approaching the scale and leaving the landfill for safety and protection of scale.
• During inclement weather, please call 972-205-3670 as restrictions may apply.